The Poppy Perinatal Yoga Teacher Training is offered in two levels: Level 1 and Level 2.
- To satisfy Level 1 requirements, you must complete a 3-day or 4-day or 5-day training. Any of the Level 1 trainings can be taken as a standalone training.
- To satisfy Level 2 requirements, you must attend the 6-day or 7-day training that is offered within the 9-day/10-day training.
- If you would like to do Level 1 and Level 2 together within one training, then attend the entire 9-day training or 10-day training retreat.
- To teach the integration of the Poppy Perinatal approach in your yoga classes, you should complete at minimum Level 1 training. To become Certified to teach the Poppy approach or register as RPYT with Yoga Alliance, you must complete Level 2.
Each training provides yoga teachers its own comprehensive manual, daily meditation and breathwork exercises, prenatal and postnatal yoga classes, hands-on assists workshops, and the information and tools for skillfully supporting women through pregnancy and postpartum.
The 9-day training also includes teaching practicum, feedback on teaching, sequencing exercises, and two special courses: 1) Functional Pelvic Anatomy/Physiology, and 2) Energetics of Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum. The 9-day is followed by 10 non-contact hours of coursework. If taught in a retreat setting, the 9-day training becomes a 10-day retreat training.
The 9-Day Training or 10-Day Retreat Training is accredited by Yoga Alliance USA as an 85-hour Registered Prenatal Yoga School (RPYS). If you successfully complete the certification requirements of the 85-hour, you are qualified to register with Yoga Alliance USA as a Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher (RPYT). You must be currently registered with Yoga Alliance as RYT or E-RYT before registering as RPYT. The 3-Day, 5-Day, and 9-Day/10-Day Trainings are all accredited as continuing education trainings by Yoga Alliance USA. Upon successful completion, you can submit your continuing education training hours to Yoga Alliance USA.
The 5-Day Training is accredited by Yoga Alliance Professionals (YAP) UK as a 40-hour vocational training. If you successfully complete the 5-Day Training, you are qualified to receive professional accreditation from YAP. Birthworkers or birth professionals, with or without yoga teaching experience (e.g., L&D nurses, doulas, midwives, etc.), are welcome to take the 5-Day training and apply for professional accreditation with YAP.
What You’ll Learn in all Poppy Perinatal Yoga Trainings:
- Daily Prenatal/Postnatal and Meditation Sessions.
- Tailor poses for various needs and conditions during pregnancy.
- Design class sequences for different types of prenatal and postnatal classes – relaxing to moderate to athletic.
- Specific postpartum yoga practices that promote healing and support after childbirth, including vaginal birth, surgical birth, VBAC, and pregnancy loss.
- Use yoga practices to relieve pain, discomfort, anxiety, depression that could accompany pregnancy and postpartum.
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum and apply that knowledge to help prenatal and postnatal students.
- Help people connect emotionally, physically, and spiritually with themselves and use those connections to help prepare them for pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum.
- Hands-On Assists Clinics – learn and practice enhancement, or supportive, or pain-relieving techniques. No one technique works for everyone; adapt techniques that work best for the individual.
What You’ll Learn in the 9-Day Poppy Perinatal Yoga Training (10-Day if retreat setting):
- All the above
- Teaching Practicum (group or private class settings) and Feedback for Prenatal and Postnatal Class Designs
- Sequencing Practicum for class sequence designs that can help bring relief to prenatal and postnatal people with certain conditions (e.g., pubic bone pain, diastastis recti, prolapse, back pain, swelling, nausea, blood pressure issues, fatigue, etc.).
- 6-Day Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga Training
- 2-Day Pelvic Anatomy and Physiology Training
- 1-Day Energetics for Conception, Pregnancy, Labor & Delivery, and Postpartum Training